Pageviews last month

Friday, August 26, 2011

All the girls in the house give a, "Hell Yea!"

It has just recently come to my attention that today is Women’s Equality Day as we are celebrating the anniversary of the passage of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution. This Amendment gave women full voting rights, and although it was passed in 1920 the holiday was only just established in 1971.

For those of you who had mono during that unit of study in high school, here is a little crash course to refresh your memory:
• In 1848 the first Women’s Rights Convention was held in Seneca Falls, NY.
• In 1850 the first National Women’s Right Convention was held in Warcester, MA
• In 1869 Susan B. Anthony and friends form the National Women Suffrage Association
• Also, in 1869 Wyoming is the first territory to pass a women’s suffrage law
• In 1893 Colorado passed a law allowing women to vote, and other states begin to follow suit
• And on August 26th, 1920 The 19th Amendment was signed into law by Secretary of State Bainbridge Colby.

I find women’s history especially fascinating; partly because I am loud and opinionated and I love that there have always been women like me. I also find it interesting because I qualify to be in the Daughters of the American Revolution. Although, to be honest I don’t really know what it is that their organization does. So if any my readers are members, please fill me in!

One thing about working in a “man’s world” is that it is interesting to watch the differences between men and women in the workplace. When I was a nurse, male nurses were always favored for administrative positions in the hospital. On the other hand, in real estate I think women are perceived as more personable and trustworthy so I know quite a few successful female agents.

Here are some fun statistics about women in the workplace that I found on the Department of Labor website:

• Women make up 46.8% of the total U.S. labor force
• Some of the most common professions for women are secretaries, nurses, teachers, cashiers, and retail salespeople.
• The unemployment rate for women in 2009 was 8% (compared to men at 10%)
• The median salary for women is 20% less than men (still!)
• The women with the highest incomes are pharmacists, lawyers, computer technicians, and engineers.

In my very humble opinion I say women are a force to be reckoned with, and we are only just getting started. Despite the fact that she is a democrat, I think Claire Sargent was exactly right when she said, “I think it’s about time we voted for senators with breasts. After all, we’ve been voting for boobs long enough.”


Sarah Moore, Broker/REALTOR - CRS, CDPE, SFR, e-Pro RE/MAX EXECUTIVE REALTY 7752 GATEWAY LANE, SUITE 204 CONCORD NC 28027 www.WeOpenMoreDoors@hotmail.com 704-706-4160

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Grew up in Charlotte and have seen alot of change over the years. I am blessed to be married to my husband Todd and we have two beautiful children, Hayden who is in Collge and John Robert who is in 5th grade. We have a rescued dog named Riccardo that we love! I enjoy traveling, playing cards with my husband, VEGAS, the beach, singing and volunteering at my church. I am blessed to work with my father who is my real estate assistant. He is an amazing man and shares his wisdom and humor every day. I owe my work ethic to the positive role models my parents played in my life. I believe in honesty, integrity, perseverance and having fun!

Real Estate Tips & Information

ShareThis